Thursday, October 2, 2008

Summer, autumn, winter

Inside the house all is calm, quiet. We gather on the sofa of gingercats. For the first time this year She has made a fire, cleaning out the coal and dust from last year and taking newspaper and kindling and coal and striking a ginger flame to the paper. The flames leap and play and now the whole house is cosy warm and filled with peace.
Outside the windcat has brought his whole pride to run and rattle the doors and the windows. Their soft fur blocks out the stars and the sliver of new moon. They climb over the roof, push claws under the slates, follow the smoke into the sky and make mischief. Their claws are sharp and cold. It seems as if they have stolen summer, chased away the autumn, carrying with it the bright fallen leaves, and taken us straight into winter.



10 comments:

BumbleVee said...

aren't they cute...and kind of funny too...all cuddled up together like that....

beadbabe49 said...

I'm new to this blog so am wondering if I'm seeing double or if there are actually 6 yellow cats?

meemsnyc said...

How cute you all are on that couch! Looks soooo comfy!

Karen Jo said...

I am very glad you got a fire with the wind howling outside and the temperature dropped down so low. It's too early for winter, at least for me.

ChrisJ said...

The Ginger Darlings so aptly named -- especially in that last photo.

Last week Bailey bit me. Did I tell you or did you perhaps read it on my blog? Poor boy, I stood on his tail! I stood up from my computer chair and there he was! Fortunately I was wearing only socks, but it was in the middle of the tail and my full weight. I didn't know until after I had checked on him that he had bitten me. I felt the blood running down my leg. It was a big bite and soon set up infection. So off to the doctors for a tetanus shot and a week's supply of antibiotics. I don't know who was more sorry, him or me. He has been sleeping much longer on my lap lately. He is not a lap cat normally. But he is such a love and I am truly sorry!

Griffin said...

Ah the old rule: If you want to know the warmest place in the house - look for the cat. There is nothing quite so peaceful and beautiful as a snoozing cat.

These pictures make me want to sit with them and stroke them. You have such refined and beautiful companions Jackie.

The Windcat's pride... you really do have to do the Book of the Wind Cat Jackie. With your writing and your pictures... that would be such a glorious book.

Rima Staines said...

Blimey! There's millions of them!

Kitikata-san said...

Oh all you cats do look comfortable and cozy now while the windcat causes mischief and clacketties outside.

Anonymous said...

I think you need to find a longer sofa, so that Kiffer can join the rest of the ginger cushions!

joely said...

aww there so sweet!!